Sunday 19 December 2010

D Day + 129: From DDay + 111 Up To Date!

I realise it's been a while since I blogged; I've been absent from it from18 days, as some of you have noticed and commented! My excuse is that we've been busy getting on with things and enjoying the Christmas run up and snow - which may sound a bit lame but there it is!  So much has happened that it's not going to be easy remembering it all (as those of you who read this regularly will know, my memory is not brilliant for recalling the past 24 hours, let alone over a fortnight) but here goes...

Since last blogging on DDay + 111 we've had two more lots of fairly decent snow...which for me has been wonderful as I haven't had to go anywhere in it!  I've been able to indulge my inner child and go out walking with the dogs, making my footprints in virgin snow in the middle of distant fields and watching it fall in childlike delight.  Even C managed to get out in it and we did a fairly decent walk along the Down behind us in the first batch of heavy snow - the dogs enjoyed it most of the way but unfortunately Charlie's coat attracts blobs of frozen snow as he walks, so by the time we'd got up to the road he looked like he was wearing socks!!  It was so beautiful out there though; something to remember for a long time.
C along Ladies' Walk

Romilly has been busy; you know that she has two jobs on the go, as well as her college course!  I do worry sometimes that she is doing too much - she's a nightmare to feed and wonders why she gets so tired (despite years of trying to get her to eat fruit and veg regularly I now realise it's a lost cause and don't waste my breath any more...she has spates of eathing healthily but sadly they don't last).  Thankfully she's had the last three Saturdays off work so at least she got to chill out for a day.  And it's always nice when she's home at night - which is often - and I get to indulge my maternal instincts and cook dinner (although the appeal of mashed potato, which is her favourite, is starting to wane...)

I've had various social things happening, which has been nice and kept me busy; it makes me appreciate the quiet evenings in so much more!!  Romilly and I went out to Chessell Pottery on 8 December for my friend Petra's annual girls Christmas pottery evening - now I'm not remotely artistic and can't draw or paint to save my life, but they make it so easy for you to decorate bits of pottery that it becomes quite addictive...this year Romilly and I did five pieces between us and had a bloody marvellous time!  Christmas music plays, mulled wine and mince pies are served (although we have hot chocolate as it comes deluxe-style with cream and marshmallows - the latter for Rom not me though as they remind me of trying to swallow phlegm...sorry!!)
I went with my friend Deb and some choir mates to see Medina High's production of Rent - our very talented baritone Cyrus had a starring role in it, Hannah (our choir director) had helped out with coaching for the singers and Rich (our pianist) was heavily involved with the music production.  It was an amazing show - for such relatively young people to be able to pull off such a professional performance of something fairly controversial, emotional and complex (it's all sung, nothing's spoken) was so impressive it had me, and many of the audience, on the edge of my seat.  The part where one of the characters dies was so highly emotional I was in tears - and I was not alone!! Fantastic stuff.

C and I went to the Esplanade Garage Christmas party on 11 December - a first for us as he doesn't usually want to go!  But having persuaded him a few weeks ago we duly got glammed up and off we went - and had a thoroughly nice time.  C did have a bit of a funny turn at the beginning - probably because he hadn't eaten for a few hours and got a bit faint - but it soon passed and he was fine.  Food was nice, company was great, the wine was flowing and everyone was really welcoming and kind, to both of us.  Thank you so much to Nick and his lovely wife Lou for inviting us, and also to Neil, Mark, Jean and Jane for looking after us so well.  You helped make it a very special evening.
So an update on his nibs then!!  As I type this we are practically at the end of Cycle 2 of the treatment - it's been a struggle again, as we knew it would be, but as ever C has faced the niggles and irritations of it all in stalwart fashion.  There are, of course, times when he's in tears and feeling very down - being in the middle of the cycle it starts to hit home that he really is ill and what these drugs are doing to his body, so we have to remind ourselves that it's all for the good, and that this drug, despite its side effects, should be fighting the biggest battle of all - against that damn cancer.  So today, with one dose to go, he's feeling more upbeat and positive, knowing that it's almost over for another fortnight.  Christmas will be treatment free and I think he's actually looking forward to the festive bits - which is a real bonus, even if he didn't have cancer!!  Ah bless...sadly though his Father Christmas beard, which he's been cultivating for a week or so, had to go yesterday as it was too prickly and irritating!

It was C's 55th birthday on 13 December - mixed emotions that morning as you might expect.   He had some lovely cards, texts, and presents from friends and family, and the kids took him out for dinner in the evening before the choir's Christmas concert.  I had debated whether to ask Hannah if the choir could sing Happy Birthday to him as he sat in the audience, but knowing how much he hates being in the spotlight I decided to abandon that idea!!

So the concert...it was a triumph!!  I know I'm biased, but that's the third Christmas one I've done and I think it was the best yet.  We did such a variety of pieces, from traditional carols to modern classics - even Gaudete worked in the end!!  Our Father Christmas was a success with the little ones who came up to do Jingle Bells, but was apparently a bit strange in the background during Santa Baby...thankfully I had my back to him so couldn't see!!!  We had a full house, which is always a good motivator when you're out there singing your heart out - and I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who came to see it after I'd nagged them about getting tickets.  I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.
I went out for a very sophisticated and decadent Christmas tea with my friend Siobhan and some other work colleagues on 15 December - Siobhan belongs to a private members' club in Ryde and had booked it for a small gathering.  Very lovely - mulled wine on arrival, sitting in the bar next to a blazing fire, then into the dining room for tea....candleabra, chandeliers, crystal glasses, lovely cakes and chocolates on cake stands, tiny sandwiches...it was like being in a Marks & Spencer advert!!!

Friday night was my gang's annual Christmas meal - it's a chance for us to catch up outside of work and play silly games over a delicious meal.  Unfortunately this year the venue had just switched owners, and instead of being in a nice side room to ourselves we were in the main hall with a large group of VERY noisy primary school staff...and we had to shout to make ourselves heard.  Still, not all bad really...the annoyance was slightly relieved by four bottles of Prosecco....

And tonight I'm going to the choir Christmas meal!  Such a flurry of activity and so much going on, you can probably see why I keep forgetting to blog!  I still find it difficult to go out and leave C if he's on his own; I know he's fine really, and probably enjoys having the time and peace to himself, especially if there's something decent on the sports channel - I have to fuss a bit and make sure he's warm, fed and occupied - and preferably with a nice cosy log fire burning.  It's something we know we'll have to get used to when I go back to work in January...but it is not going to be easy by any means.  Ah well, let's enjoy this Christmas while we have the time, and whatever January brings, let it come - I feel like we could deal with anything now.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment