Monday 20 December 2010

D Day + 130: To The Rescue....

...of my lovely friend Deb.  Bless her - she got into a panic this morning about the icy roads and not being able to drive anywhere, so I told her not to worry, that I would pick her up in the Land Rover and we'd get things sorted.  The first of which was meeting up with my friend Tricia, who used to be my boss/head of service and was cruelly and ridiculously made redundant two and a half years ago.  Tricia is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, and seeing her always brightens my day, cheers me up, and makes me hanker after the old days when we used to work together and see each other every day at work.  I was her PA for a while, and it was the nicest job I've had.  So we plonked ourselves in Joe's in Ryde (recently taken over by new management and quite honestly very very nice for it - I recommend it) for coffees, which unsurprisingly turned into lunch, and before we knew it we'd been there for almost three hours;  none of us wanted to leave as it was so cosy, welcoming and pleasant chatting and catching up.  But we all had to get on, so Tricia went off in one direction and Deb and I in the other.  Must do more of this sort of thing.....

C spent the day at home - best place to be given the rain, slush and general chaos that has ensued as people realise they can get out again and panic charge the supermarkets and town centres in case they get snowed in again!!!  Romilly was at home with him, thankfully recovering from feeling knackered and run down, so it was nice for them to spend some time together as well.  By the time I got home around 3pm the weather was absolutely foul and it was good to get back into the cosiness to a big mug of tea.  I had made a detour via Tesco though, as Tricia had kindly texted me to say that they DID have turkey crowns in stock now - off I dashed to purchase one; now it doesn't  bother me remotely not having turkey, obviously as I'm vegetarian, but I don't think the other nine people coming for Christmas dinner on Saturday would have been that pleased to be served nut stuffing, delicious though it is, and I wouldn't want to share it with them anyway...So we're safe and there's turkey in the house!

Today was the last dose of the cancer drug in Cycle 2; and about time - it's been a hard four weeks for C and he's been suffering with extreme tiredness and really feeling the cold.  He's worried about the size of our gas bill for this quarter as we've had the heating on quite a lot, but I can't having him sitting there shivering and feeling worse for it.  It would be nice not to have to worry about money, but then I guess that's what everyone thinks; it's just something you don't want preying on your mind when there's so much else to contend with.  So Cycle 2 is over, and he now has two weeks clear before starting the next one; nice that it's timed right for Christmas and New Year!  Now he can get on and enjoy the festiveness without all those horrible side effects.

I've had a good day today, which I didn't expect given that I overindulged in the old vino last night at the choir's Christmas do!  There was open house at a choir member's home beforehand, which some of us attended and really enjoyed - she made an amazing mulled wine which was far too easy to drink; and a bit worrying of the consequences once we realised what was in it!! I could have been drunk in the fumes alone - but drinking it was an added pleasure.  Then off the Medina Quay for a buffet and a few more drinkies, which turned into a very enjoyable mass sing-song which appeared to empty the place of other customers...unless it was quiet anyway, being a Sunday.  

It's looking very snug in our lounge right now - with the little tree and its red lights, candles burning, fairy lights in the ivy and the log fire burning it's just like a Christmas card - and it really helps to block out the wet windy weather on the outside...

No comments:

Post a Comment