Saturday 1 January 2011

D Days + 139 to 141: Weds 29 December 2010 to Sunday 31 December 2010

So now New Year's Eve has been and gone, and it's New Year's Day.  I'm glad to see the back of 2010 to be honest because it hasn't really been a spectacularly good year for me personally - I know there are bound to have been some good bits, but right now I'm having a job to remember them!! And given what challenges lay ahead, the first few months of 2011 are bound to be no less of a worry as we face C's ongoing treatment, and the possibility that I could be made redundant; the outcome of both those huge issues are still unknown at the moment obviously, but no less worrying because of that.

So back to the last four days - having had a lovely Christmas at home with family, it was nice to take some time out from the rush and relax a bit.  My part was technically over, so it was time for feet up and a slower pace.  It also meant eating the leftovers, which begin to lose their appear after a couple of days, but I hate throwing food away.  I managed to stretch the nut stuffing to last to the day after Boxing Day, by which time I had had enought of it anyway!, and the rest of the dinner bits ended up in the bin (grrrrr, I hate that, but if I don't I end up eating all sorts of rubbish just for the sake of it).  I caught up with TV programmes I'd recorded, took the dogs out for long muddy walks, and did the chores I'd been putting off - mainly the laundry and ironing as it had been piling up over the last week and I really don't think Romilly could have squeezed even a sock into her wash bin.  The down side to it is that because the weather has been so horrible, foggy and damp, it is really difficult to get anything to dry very quickly - so we're left either draping stuff around the dining room on the airer, hanging it up in the (damp) outhouse or resorting to the tumble dryer (which is a horrifically expensive method at the best of times).  And it seems that when you have a lot of laundry, no matter how much you get through there always seems to be more!!!  I must try and get Romilly to wear things more than once before they go in the washbin...something her elder brother had a tendency to do when he lived at home!

We did the usual emergency top up shop at Tesco - I am thinking this is a good way to do the shopping as it means I don't spend as much money...as long as I only do this once a week I should be quids in...however I don't see it happening that easily!  Ah money, how I hate you....!!!

C has continued to have really good days, feeling quite perky and active (and he's started singing in the mornings again...)  I however am still struggling to get my a**e out of bed at a respectable time, and this is starting to worry me as I know I have to be up, dressed and ready to leave the house before 8am from next Tuesday onwards....ooh err.

New Year's Eve was lovely - my big brother was down from the mainland, and having extracted himself from my aunt's lovely cosy cottage, and their enjoyable session sitting side by side on her sofa, laptops on the go, doing some family history research, he arrived early evening and we started on the prosecco.  Deb and Robin arrived a bit later, and once we'd cooked the posh nibbles they brought with them, we went up to the summer house and played silly card games, drank lovely fizzy wine and ate.  All the while there were candles burning and the brazier was aglow, so the top of the garden was like a fairy grotto.  Listening to Wave 105 we heard the chimes announce midnight, so we opened some champagne, watched the fireworks going off along the coast (and the Chinese lanterns being released) and toasted the New Year.  I hope it's going to be a good one; I hope it's going to be an easy one, a positive one, a happy one.  And I wish all that for you as well. x.

No comments:

Post a Comment