Tuesday 23 November 2010

D Day + 101: Sunday 21 November 2010 - Cold Comfort in Cowes

Have you ever been to Cowes in the winter?  Walked down the High Street on a cold November day?  I hadn't for a long time, and had therefore forgotten what a cold wind tunnel feels like...and there was quite a cold wind today!!  Romilly's boss insists that the shop door is open whatever the weather, as it's deemed more welcoming for customers and encourages them to come in...which is lovely for them, if it does work, but rather chilly to say the least for those working within!! There is a heater above the door that blows the tiniest amount of warm air, and a halogen heater behind the counter, but when the open door is at a right angle to the counter and therefore blows cold air directly at the back of your legs, it's not that welcoming at all...But we managed.  I went over to Sainsbury's to get some tuck for the day and we had comforting hot chocolate, rolls and soup for lunch, and Rom grazed on chocolate buttons and Ritz crackers (because she was hungover and trying to 'soak up' the alcohol).  It was surprisingly busy today - we had some really nice people in,  mostly women it has to be said, but they were all chatty and pleasant, and that always makes the day go quicker.  Romilly bought me a lovely snuggly pink cardigan from the shop for my Christmas present, which I promptly put on as it was so warm!!  Sunday hours are 10 to 4 so it wasn't too long a day and before I knew it we were shutting up shop and heading home.  Another lovely day spent with my daughter.  Bless her.

Meantime C had his work crew round - Chich and Arther - accompanied by Jill, to refelt the shed roof.  No mean feat this, as it involves getting on the roof and lugging heavy strips of felt into position - but fortified by several cups of tea/coffee (courtesy of C the Charwaller) and bacon rolls (courtesy of Jill) they got it done in no time and C's shed, and all his treasures contained therein, are now safe from the weather once more.  It did mean however that C had to forgo his weekly breakfast meeting with Neil.....

Rom and I got home around 4.30 and it was nice to come out of the dark into our warm snug little cottage.  I made dinner - a wonderful 'winter warmer' of toad-in-the-hole and mashed potatoes - for them, and cooking wine for me.  I've often wondered why on earth sausages in batter is called toad in the hole, and have found the following explanation: The origin of the name "Toad-in-the-Hole" is often disputed. Many suggestions are that the dish's resemblance to a toad sticking its head out of a hole provide the dish with its somewhat unusual name.  Personally I have never seen a toad sticking its head out of a hole, of whatever variety you care to mention, and would run a mile if I ever did; which reminds me of something that happened when we lived at our old house...


Rom and I were in the garden, one day in the summer, and had filled up her paddling pool as it was so hot.  Our garden was fenced in, but at the back it backed onto a pub car park, this end of which was overgrown with brambles and various under/over growth - a fabulous hunting ground for our then cat, Kiwi, who used to frequently appear in the garden with various prey he had captured, usually slow-worms which he held in his mouth and which looked like a very mobile Salvador Dali-type moustache.  So clearly this area of vegetation harboured all sorts of creatures...which we discovered to our horror once the paddling pool was full.  Rom and I went in for lunch, and went back out into the garden to switch off the hose and sit in the sun.  There we were enjoying the sunshine, when we heard this noise...and out of the corner of my eye I spotted movement.  Not realising what it was I went over to investigate...and leapt four feet in the air when I got close and saw it was a toad, clearly having been drawn out of the shade by the tempting pool full of water.  Shock kicked in, and the scream shot out - I ran across the lawn wailing like a banshee and shouting at Romilly to get indoors; of course she panicked too, seeing my turning into a crazy mad wailing woman running in the opposite direction; heaven knows what the hell the neighbours thought was happening!  Safely in the kitchen, with the door firmly shut, we both collapsed on the floor and laughed hysterically (which I am doing RIGHT NOW recalling this!!!!) to await the arrival of a knight in shining armour to remove said offending reptile to a safe distance - cue Chich, not a moment too soon.


But I digress, and now I've wiped the tears away I can finish this post!  Dinner was a success - I have finally mastered the art of making batter - and Rom went off to snuggle down in bed to watch TV while I caught up with I'm A Celebrity.  Oh my aching stomach muscles...

No comments:

Post a Comment