Friday 19 November 2010

D Day + 98: Thursday 18 November 2010 - Tenterhooks and Setback

I forgot to mention something exciting yesterday!!! I bought a ticket for the Isle of Wight Festival!!! I know this may not seem that interesting to those diehard Festival goers amongst you, but I have never been; in fact I spent the first few years it was on moaning about it as it always seems to be around mine and Romilly's birthday - 12 June - which interfered with family gatherings, parties etc etc.  This time around I've decided to embrace it and actually go, and that decision seems to be vindicated each time a new act is announced because they are all ones that seem good to me (although I have to confess I am not all that 'up' on the music scene, so I check out the acts on Youtube for a bit of a taster, and so far so good).  I have also posted a request on The Cure's official website because if there is one act I would love to see live, it's them.  Fingers crossed....

Once we were up and about this morning there was a sense of kicking our heels until it was time to leave for the hospital.  C had an appointment with Jane, the psychologist, at 12 and as we were set to go early (as usual) we pootled off way too early and were there by 11.35 - but he went in anyway, and I went off to have a cuppa with my sister.  I haven't seen much of Kealy lately; she's a very busy mum of three and lives in Newport, so it's not always easy to get to see each other given commitments with work, kids' activities, our own activities etc etc.  We were never that close as kids, but have become so as adults, and although we don't get together that regularly I know she is always there for me and if I have a panic, or need her, or whatever all I have to do is call and she'll be there.  Love her - that's what having a sister is really about.  While I was there C rang to say he was out of his appointment, which seemed a bit early, but after initial discussion Jane had said that he seems to be dealing with things so well that there isn't much else she can work on with him.  She's left it open so he can go back if/when things change, so that's a nice cushion to have.  He walked up to Kealy's from the hospital, which he initially refused to do but actually enjoyed once he'd put his mind to it!!! And off we went to have some lunch before seeing Dr M, the oncologist.

Our appointment was scheduled for 3.30, and we'd been taking bets on what time we actually got in there - last time it was 45 minutes after the appointment time.  This time it was 40 minutes, so I guess you could say things are improving!  Dr M had the results of the blood test C had last week - it showed that his blood count of platelets is quite low, which means that he can't start the cancer treatment again just yet; he has to go for another blood test on Monday so they can re-check it, and if it's back up to normal he can start.  If it's not we have to wait, then have another one the week after and go back to Dr M at the beginning of December.  The low blood count means that his blood is too thin, which has implications if he cuts/knocks/grazes himself as it won't clot properly - the drug he is on for the cancer has this effect, and explains why he has nose bleeds and such a huge bruise on his arm from the visit to Pathology.  Let's just hope that Monday's test shows better results and we can crack on again.  We are being positive about it, as we have to be, and just carrying on.  It's just so frustrating that everything is out of our hands.

I had choir again tonight, my life saver.  Things are really coming together now and I'm really proud of how well everyone is getting to grips with such a varied repertoire - some of it is simple enought (the traditional stuff), some is quite tricky (some more modern stuff) and some is downright scary (Gaudete!!) but we are making progress and the end result will, I'm sure, be fabulous.  Tickets are apparently selling really well too, so if you haven't got one....better get on with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment