Tuesday 7 September 2010

D Day + 25: Monday 6 September 2010 - Rest Day and Sad Goodbyes

C does tend to run out of puff easily these days.  It's great to keep him occupied doing things, as mentally this is a huge boost, but it does take its toll after a while and he gets a bit pale and shattered.  Today was one of those - there has been a lot going on recently with family, so this morning we decided to do not very much at all so he could re-energise.  He watched a bit of the tennis - he subscribed to Sky Sports recently and is making the most of it (although I secretly think the only reason he did this is so he can watch the Australian women's volleyball matches, when I'm not around...).  I decided to crack on with sorting the music for the Christmas concert, so it was all very peaceful and  restful in the lounge.
Romilly was at home today too, but she gets very bored very easily and it's like she's 5 all over again, as she walks around and then flings herself on the sofa saying "I'm bored Daddy."  I got her making some soup, then she went up to Tesco for some bits and pieced and then made a cake for Dan's grandad's birthday tomorrow .
I took the dogs out for a run - well Sid runs, Charlie plods - up on Culver Down, my favourite place to walk; I love being up high in the wind, watching the seagulls whirling over Sandown Bay, and the sound of the sea below - get the right songs on the ipod and it's very atmospheric/uplifting/emotional.  It's also my 'time out' I suppose and I do a lot of thinking and reasoning while I'm up there.  It does get a bit frustrating though when I'm having deep thoughts and then turn around to find that Charlie has decided to do his own thing and is merrily wandering off in the wrong direction - his hearing and eyesight aren't brilliant so you can shout your head off at him and he'll either look the wrong way or completely ignore you!  I must remember that he is my 'himbo' dog...looks cute but not big on brains.....
Charlie

Jill had asked us over for dinner, with John and Siv, as it's their last night on the Island, so they came over to us.  They'd been out and about since 9.30 this morning, so were ready for feeding!!  We took a detour via St Helen's to look at a house John had got details for - they keep toying with the idea of moving back to the Island, and scout around for property to see what's what when they're here;  one day maybe...
We got to Jill's bang on time (a habit of ours, we're always on time or early) to the delicious smell of dinner - she does a very very nice roast dinner and as I'm veggie she always does me a lovely cauliflower cheese!  So a couple of very pleasant hours were spent around the dinner table, with Jill, John and C reminiscing about their childhood and people they remembered - it was nice to hear as they don't often do this and it's fascinating to learn about the odd characters that were about in those days (it's a different generation to me, but with some similarities such as the lack of heating, which always comes up).
We gave John and Siv a lift back to their hotel in Ryde afterwards, and it was a sad journey - John said "I have to get out of the car in a minute and I just don't know what to say."  What do you say?  Not an easy goodbye this time as we all know what we're facing to some extent, and they are obviously worried about C too.  John told me to look after him, which he knows I will; and to call them if we need anything.  I just hope that the next time we need them will be because C is better and we fancy a trip to Finland; there's another little thing to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment