Sunday 19 September 2010

D Day + 37: Saturday 18 September 2010 - Friend, Fire and Forward Thinking

I met up with my lovely mate Shaz this morning; we went to a local garden centre (which has the obligatory tea shop attached) for a catch up.  I haven't seen Shaz since the end of the summer term (end of July) as she works term time and I've obviously not been there recently.  It was great to see her - she always cheers me up and we can natter till our jaws ache!  The down side to it though was that she made me (yes, she really did) buy lots of stuff to make cards - Shaz does this regularly and it's lovely to get a personalised card from her on birthdays and Christmas, and she's very good - and the craft bit had lots of Christmas card making bits in, so off we went for a browse and it wasn't long before the shopping basked filled up...she's a terrible influence on me!!!  It is good really though as it's something for me/C/Rom to do together and means I don't have to buy Christmas cards in a panic later.  
Took the dogs up on Culver again this afternoon - C came along for the ride and a look off over Sandown Bay.  It was lovely weather again, if a bit chilly in the breeze, and there were lots of people about making the most of it.  C's been suffering a little bit today probably as a result of the biopsy as it's around the tumour site; he's also a bit sore across the diaphragm which we think is due to the cough, which is in full swing again.  Rom changed the dressing on C's back this morning - not a pleasant experience as it was that really sticky stuff again and involved initial gentle peeling, followed by a firm rip to get the old one off!!  Doesn't help that his hairs love sticking to it...
We spent the evening up at the top of the garden - in Chickoland (which I've mentioned before) with a bonfire, and cooked sausages and jacket potatoes up there.  Lovely.  It's so nice to have that bit of land 'spare' where we don't have to worry about keeping it tidy, mowed, weeded.  It's the closest I'll ever get to camping too - I love the open fire and cooking on it but wouldn't relish the thought of sleeping in a tent and the lack of adequate bathroom facilities....
Lots of lovely cold Stella later, when it had got dark, we started playing the alphabet game - the first time round was lines from a song, which the next person had to complete (much hilarity as our music tastes are three generations apart so it was difficult at times to know what the song was!) and then the "My name is ***, I come from *** and I eat ***", which we ended up doing in Yorkshire accents for some reason.
Finished off a lovely day by coming in and ordering some DVDs of classic Disney films that Rom and I love - Bedknobs and Broomsticks (Treguna Macoides and Trecorum Satis De!!) Aristocats, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and our absolute favourite - the cartoon version of Robin Hood.  Can't wait for them to arrive; but I can wait for morning as I'm pretty sure Stella is going to wreak revenge on me....

1 comment:

  1. hi Karen....next time you are up at the hospital (esp in the chemo unit) ask for a bottle of adhesive remover...it's a spray that you use on sticky stuff like plasters and it dissolves the adhesive so it doesn't hurt to pull it off. There are several types called Appeel, or LiftSafe...if they won't give you any then let me know as I probably have a spare bottle (it's mostly used for stoma bags).
    Kat x

    ReplyDelete