Tuesday 7 September 2010

D Day+ 26: Tuesday 7 September 2010 - Chores Mate

I am becoming less fit.  This is becoming evident whenever I take the dogs for a walk, in that I used to be able to stride up the side of Culver Down at a fair pace (in time to James Blunt's '1973' or Shalamar's 'Night to Remember') but now have to go at a plod or I get too out of breath (more Snow Patrol 'Chasing Cars').  This I put down to not having done my daily morning speed walk, which I started before the tour, then kept up on the tour, and then dropped from D Day onwards...still, daily dog walking should help to keep me on track, and I'll get back to the speed walking somewhen.
We had another lazy day today - yesterday did C a lot of good, not doing very much, no physical or emotional challenges, and he coped much better.  No plan today, as we weren't sure how he would be, so it was very much 'see how it goes'.  We pottered around this morning - C on his ipad and I carried on with scanning and sending music out; I am collating a large electronic library of music now!!  C had a few phone calls with Neil, his mate who has just bought an ipad too, plus trying to get through to Direct.Gov....
C's decided to investigate the possibility of getting some financial help from the Government.  This is not a decision he's taken lightly - we've never claimed any benefits and it's not something to be taken lightly, but quite frankly after the number of years we've paid into the kitty he thought it was about time the kitty helped us out, as he can't work at the moment and his pension is not really enough to top up my wages and keep us going during this period when we'll inevitably incur additional expenses, e.g. travelling to the mainland etc.  So he investigated benefits online, did the research, and phoned them...and phoned them...and phoned them...and they didn't answer the damn phone all day; no, direct.gov was 'too busy to take the call' all bloody day!!!  Which led us to think that they are either (a) genuinely busy with lots of other calls or (b) not actually in the office but have put the message on to stall you and they're actually all on a jolly at the nearest pub.  Take your pick....
We did the Tesco shop again today - this is turning into quite an event as we haven't actually been to the supermarket this regularly for a very long time.  We go with a vague idea of what we need, a short list of essentials, and somehow manage to get to the checkout and pay the full whack for a week's shopping.  It is interesting having the time to actually look at things on the shelves, instead of carrying it out like a military operation - "You go down aisle 6 for cheese, I'll meet you at aisle 10 with the mustard/pickle/ketchup/brown sauce..."  The down side is that you end up spending too much money....
So home we get and unpack it all.  It pains me to look at the bags and realise in a week's time not only will we have to go and do it all again (which isn't so bad, we're getting quite good at it) but that I will have to shell out that much money again...hence the investigation into further funds!!!
I did buy a cheap DVD today - there seem to be a lot of them around at the moment.  It was called 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' and I have to confess that I bought it on the back of one quote I always remembered from the trailer.  Potted history: my colleague Mr Cane comes from London (Hillingdon actually) and occasionally lapsed into London speak with words such as candle and handle, which came out as 'cendool' and 'hendool' and caused much hilarity in the office.  His mate Paul, also a bit of a wide boy, was born in London but moved to the Island as a very small infant; but he has managed to retain his aura of Cockneyism to this day (and he's in his 40s).  So when I saw the trailer for this film, and there's a very short bit where Russell Brand has coral stuck in his leg and the surf dude who's high on weed is standing over him says, in response to RB's asking for help, 'You sarnd lark you come from Lunnndunnn...." which is what I always said to Paul and Mr Cane when they lapsed into the lingo...are you still with me???  That's why I bought the film.  Having watched it I am glad that it was only £3.....
C's been watching the football this evening - England v Switzerland in the championship qualifiers or some such thing.  It's been a quiet day, and a quiet evening, but clearly just what he's needed.  He has been looking at us going away for a couple of days next weekend - it's our 21st wedding anniversary on Thursday - which is a nice idea, but I'm just not sure (and neither is he now) that he's up to much in terms of getting out and about, doing things, going places.  Something to debate over the next 24 hours, and more so after tomorrow when we should hear from Southampton General about what's next.
So 'chores mate' it's been today - nice, easy, mundane things and lots of rest.  He also discovered the Macmillan website, which I have to say is very good, with lots of advice and information for cancer sufferers and their carers/families.  Lots of tips and helpful sections on coping...I think this will be a much needed resource in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment