Saturday 2 October 2010

D Day + 48 - Wednesday 29 September 2010 - Rain Again

The heavens opened today - heavy rain which looked set for the day; this put a damper on any activity outside of home really, so we spent most of the morning pootling around the house doing odd jobs, which wasn't very rewarding.
C got onto the GP surgery as we realised, after a prompt from Esplanade, that he hasn't been signed off sick! Not something we'd thought about really, but I supposed that as he is on the payroll there, they do need formal confirmation that he's unable to work; bizarre how it never crossed our minds.  So he spoke to the very nice Dr Hesse, who asked C how he was doing and making sure that he has what he needs; he always gets quite emotional when anyone shows concern about his welfare - I guess this is because he is so used to being the one doing the asking that it's difficult to be on the other end of it!  So he arranged to collect the sick certificate later.
I meanwhile had arranged to meet up with a couple of friends/colleagues - Kate and Siobhan - who I haven't seen in a good few weeks.  I am admin support for Kate and Siobhan when I am at work; Kate however has been off sick herself since the end of May, having been diagnosed with breast cancer, which thankfully she is now coming through successfully.  She's a very hands on and busy person, and hugely supportive of those close to her, which is amazing considering what she has and is going through.  She and Siobhan have been friends for a long time, and I always love being around them as they are so upbeat, supportive, encouraging and generally all round lovely.  Kate made some amazing soup, and delicious houmus, so we sat around for a good few hours catching up and putting the world to rights.  I left there feeling well nourished in more ways than one!!  We're going to try and meet up more regularly in the next few weeks, for I am really thankful and grateful - they are both really busy and I feel very blessed that they have time for me.  Thank you girlies xx
The rain was just as bad as ever when I left - I am really noticing the difference driving a car which is much lower than Gregory the Vitara was; I seem to attract a lot of passing spray from lorries, buses etc, which I presume is normal!! I'm just not used to it I guess.
C was starting to feel a bit anxious about our appointment tomorrow; your mind does tend to wander a bit when you're not occupied enough, and it's easy to imagine all sorts of scenarios (usually bad when you're feeling down).  He's had a bit of discomfort again today - thankfully it's nothing horrendously painful, but he does notice it a bit nowadays.  It's amazing to think how well he's coping - he has this large tumour where his right kidney used to be, and all he's taking is paracetamol!! He barely complains about it, and just tries to get on as normal - which is exactly how it should be really (don't want to let this cancer take over) but I do worry that he's being a bit too brave at times and perhaps putting up with more than he should.  He's very 'old school' about pain - grin and bear it - so it's a job to get him to 'give in' when it's clear he should.  More nagging in the weeks to come methinks....

No comments:

Post a Comment