Monday 4 October 2010

D Day + 52: Sunday 3 October 2010 - Golf, Tears and a little bit of Choir

By the time I woke up this morning C had been up for a few hours; he didn't have a great night, and was awake around 6am.  This meant he'd had time to dwell, in the quiet hours of the early morning, on his illness without anyone to talk to or cheer him up.  I'm afraid this failing of mine to be able to get up in the mornings is proving a worry for me, as it means he's alone; and right now that's not a good thing.  I made more tea/coffee and we sat in bed having a chat and cheer up, and he felt better by the time he went off to meet his mate Neil for breakfast.
Neil has been a pal of C's for years - they got to know each other through the car trade, and when No 1 worked at Esplanade a few years ago - and have been golf partners too.  They've stayed in touch, and I know that Neil is a real boost for C and sees him most weekends.  This is great for C - man talk, or waffle if you like, about things other than cancer.    By the time he got back he was feeling much more upbeat and perky.  They'd had breakfast at Briddlesford Farm - something I think will become a regular thing.....
The Ryder Cup was back on by early afternoon, so we sat and watched it - I have to confess to getting quite involved in it, which is unusual for me and I don't really do sport.  But there was something about beating the Americans that was so appealing I wanted to watch it unfold!  I think I found a favourite in Miguel Angel Jimenez - perhaps it was his calm demeanour and cheeky smile, perhaps it was that he has curly hair; who knows?  Anyhow it was nice to sit with C and watch this, have him explain things to me (like the term 'dormy' which I think is akin in terms of being understood by women as the offside rule is in football).  He's been quite cheerful this afternoon, which is lovely to see; we've discovered that the discomfort he sometimes experiences can be resolved by sitting more upright, so he decided to forgo the slumpy comfort of the sofa for his director's chair - problem solved, even Sidney seemed to approve!
 Tonight was the long awaited viewing of the DVD of the choir tour to Brittany - we had planned to watch it back in September but there were technical problems getting it done, which thankfully Kieron (the choir pin up) had managed to resolve.  The result was an hour and three quarters of wonderful memories, laughs, out takes we'd forgotten about and some fairly dodgy impressions by some members of others...to be worked out at our leisure.  It was great to see everyone again, laugh together, feel proud and realise the enthusiasm for another tour - in 2012 though, to give us enough time to plan!!  At the end of the evening I'd offered to take home (not with me I hasten to add, but to their homes) three of the chaps from choir - this meant a round trip from Newport, to Ryde, then via Ventnor back home to Brading.  A fairly long trip perhaps, but it was worth it to hear them talking about stuff - I don't get to chat with them very often so it was nice to have that time.  And I felt good for doing a good deed - but Saint Karen I ain't!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment