Saturday 23 October 2010

D Day + 69: Wednesday 20 October 2010 - Curry Takeaway!!

C was going to meet Jill this morning; unfortunately she put her back out just before she was due to leave home, so they've had to postpone.  At a bit of a loose end therefore, we wandered off to Currys in Newport - C had a fancy for a small TV in the spare room as that's where he goes to chill out etc; the bed is really comfy and it's a nice room anyhow, it made sense to equip it properly!  Walking into Currys is a daunting experience - not being someone who's overly interested in technology (although I am getting there - as the iphone experience has shown me!) I get flummoxed by the variety and number of different types of electrical equipment - and the fact that you can now get TVs in so many shapes and specs leaves me cold.  I can't really get my head around this 'HD ready' business either...But C knew what he wanted and having procured the services of a chap call Carel (I kid you not; I had to look at his name badge twice) proceeded to make his purchase...while I wandered off and drooled over the dishwashers.  I know this sounds sad, but when you are faced with nice, shiny, brand spanking new bits of essential equipment (which I guess this is for me now, having had a dishwasher for many years) and you know that the one you have at home is (a) very old, (b) something you were given when somebody else got a newer one, and (c) definitely on its last legs, looking at these highly efficient, clean and up to date numbers is rather an envy-provoking experience.  And then C bought one - I felt like a kid at Christmas, nose pressed against the window at the object of desire, and then Santa hands it to you!!! Brilliant!!!  It took me aback a little bit - C is not usually given to spontaneous purchasing, preferring to do his research/measure/check out all the options, so this made me momentarily speechless...not a common occurrence.  The guys in Currys were fantastic, arranging delivery to suit us, taking away the old one, all done efficiently and with a smile...which was unfortunately not the case when we went to Medina Quay for lunch afterwards.
I love Medina Quay - that may sound a bit naff, given that it's not exactly haute cuisine, but I spend a lot of time in there really, what with the pre-choir dinners with Hannah, the post-choir drinks, meeting up with friends for lunch/dinner/coffee over the years.  It's kind of my local if you like, and I know some of the staff by name now!  Our lunch experience today was not good though - it took forever to order the food, the table hadn't been cleared from the previous occupants, the waitress clearly wanted to be somewhere else - "Enjoy your meals" really needs to be said with some degree of care and enthusiasm, not a monotone with hints of 'I don't really care whether you do or not' thrown in - and when I went up to ask for a small glass of tap water so C could take his meds you'd think I'd asked her to serve it up standing on her head and juggling singing hamsters while humming the tune to the Magnificent Seven all at the same time: sigh, "Okay" she mumbled, and then proceeded to shout my request down the bar to the guy around the corner.  Charming.
I had a choir concert tonight - arranged by and for Ryde Methodist Church in aid of Help for Heroes; although I'm not sure how much help they'd have got from the takings as there were more people in the choir than the audience!  Must try and see these micro-concerts as a chance to rehearse rather than perform...although we did get some food and cups of tea afterwards in the church hall, which was rather quaint.  And I discovered that I can get a whole mini doughnut in my mouth, and eat it without gagging (to my stomach's great discontent later on; shouldn't eat like that late at night...)

No comments:

Post a Comment