Wednesday 13 October 2010

D Day + 62: Wednesday 13 October 2010 - Donk!!!!

The old adage 'Be careful what you wish for, it may come true' actually did!!! If you read yesterday's tri-blog, I mentioned my wonderful grandmother - Nanny - in it, and her amazing creation we all call 'donk'.  Well guess what - she rang me this morning: "Hello darling, Nanny here - just to let you know that there is donk in the overn."  YAY!!!!  I am going over there tomorrow morning to collect some and generally gorge...and no I am not sharing it, with anyone.
C met up with some of his family at lunch time - his other sister, and nieces and great-niece - for lunch.  It was a nice surprise for him to see them all, and from what he reported back they had a good old chinwag about everything.  His niece-by-marriage, affectionately known as Little Nick, is undergoing similar treatment, so they could compare symptoms, reactions etc; I think C has felt a kind of kindred spirit in Nick, and she's always been such an upbeat, positive character it must have done him good.  He returned all smiley and fondly remembering what they'd all talked about, with a tentative agreement to meet up again in a few weeks.
I meanwhile have been boring; well it may sound boring to you, but to me it's been a familarly content day with nothing too challenging on the cards.  First job was to chase up what's going on with my beloved iphone.  I have been without it for over a week and it has not been easy, especially when C has its big brother, the ipad, to play with!  Having chased the repair company for info, they have informed me it has been despatched this afternoon by 'special delivery' and I should have it back tomorrow.  Next thing I went and did the shopping - C usually does this with me, but his lunch engagement took priority so I took Monty (the Land Rover) to Tesco; he needed fuel, which I managed to deal with fine without looking like a bimbo who doesn't know how to handle such a meaty machine; then I did the shopping - once again, only a few bits I thought, and once again a full trolley and a credit card weighed down.  Brilliant. I don't know why they don't just make money out of liquid so it can literally drip through my fingers....
I also have to confess that I am truly and deeply (and perhaps sadly) engrossed in a jigsaw puzzle...I know, I know, it's sad and what old ladies in care homes do, but they are a fascination for me and I can't help it.  Say what you will, at least it's a fairly inoffensive obsession!! The only trouble is that the light in our dining room, where the puzzle reposes, is not brilliant and I have to do it in the morning when the light's good...trouble is the morning tends to drift into lunch time and then early afternoon before I realise it!
C had a doctor's appointment this afternoon; Sonya recommended it to discuss getting C referred for a chest x-ray as I told her I'm worried that his cough is getting worse.  We actually saw our own GP, the one we've been registered with for over 20 years!  Amazing.  Anyhow he was fine about doing the referral, so now we have to go up to St Mary's for the x-ray somewhen; he also prescribed some more anti-sickness tablets as we're running low (I've made him take these anyway to prevent him feeling sick, no point waiting until he actually does before taking them) and some more co-codamo, which Dr Rogers has advised he takes four times a day as the codeine in them should help suppress the cough (saves having to prescribe a codeine linctus for the same thing).  I think C felt a bit overwhelmed about how many drugs he has to take now - for someone who has barely been ill in his life, it's a bit of a shock to be on three types of drug daily - doses of one per day, three per day, and two four times a day.  I feel a drug chart coming on......

No comments:

Post a Comment