Sunday 10 October 2010

D Day + 58: Saturday 9 October 2010 - Dans le Jardin

Oh there were bats in my belfry this morning!  Didn't realise I'd had that much...then realised I hadn't, but also hadn't had dinner either so that explains it.  Really, it does. Really.
So it took a while to get going this morning...more so than usual.  Just as I was starting to think about doing something Deb and Robin arrived, so of course I had to put the kettle on and make more tea and talk to them; result!!  We also tucked into the apple pie Nanny had sent over; C didn't wince, well not too much anyway...
Deb and Robin are talking about getting an allotment to grow some veggies...and further discussion has resulted in us agreeing to do this together - in Chickoland!!!  It will take a bit of clearing, but Robin has a mate with a rotivator, and between the three of us, with C supervising and planning it out, it should be fine.  There's even a chance we may get some chickens too, so it will be The Good Life, Brading Version!  C went up armed with tape measure and planned out the area to use so we can decide what to put where.  It will be really good to use that bit of land for something useful!!
Primed with the thought of being outdoors, I spend the afternoon doing the garden.  The lawns all needed mowing again, all three of them, so I did that first as it puffs me out.  The worst bit really is doing the PCP beforehand (that's Pooh Clearing Patrol to you) as it is extremely unpleasant to be mowing and have to upend the Flymo to wipe off the, well, doo!! Frustratingly Charlie then decided that the lawn was now too denuded of his presence and christened it once again....I trimmed part of the hedge, pruned a bay tree, a lavender bush, swept the patio - none of which is overly strenuous, but what does wear you out is the constant barrowing of debris up to the top of the garden to the compost heap!  I suppose that it's good practice though for when the veggies need tending; I'll be up and down like a yoyo even more then...
Of course the upshot of such activity was that I was absolutely knackered.  After a hot bath I could barely manage to lift a gin and tonic to my lips and all plans for the Saturday night viewing were abandoned - C went up around 8pm, and I managed to last out until 9.30 before giving in and hitting the pillow.  Ironically it took me ages to get to sleep; you'd think being that shattered would mean you drift off to slumberland without a care, but not the case!  What doesn't help is the Sky cable which runs down the wall past our bedroom window is a bit loose, and with just the right amount of wind it taps gently against the sill outside.  Another job we keep meaning to get round to, but as neither of us is good up a ladder it has been put off and put off - a bit like replacing the back door, which is now almost impossible to open and shut, although the new one should arrive any day now so that will be a relief.  I should make a list of jobs we need to do, but quite frankly the thought scares me - who is going to do them?  I can take on the housework, the garden, some decorating etc, but things that involve electrical tools are beyond my capability, and C's at the moment.  If only I had a little spare handyman somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment